Friday 8 February 2013

day one as a working woman!

as part of my History course at Keele University I was lucky enough to be enrolled onto a module for work experience called 'work experience for historians' (so excited at the prospect of having the title historian one day).
This module does exactly what it says on the tin, we start a work placement in a job that can be as directly or loosely related to History as we like.
I chose a place in a Museum, and after getting a few offers I decided to go for Newcastle Museum and Art Gallery, in Newcastle Under-Lyme, which is local to my University. 

(a lovely little museum, focused on local public history and art)

I had my first day there on the 7th and had a blast!
We covered so much about how a museum works in one day, including how to use their archive system and how to accession items (posh word meaning organise and assign a number too) and how to track down artefacts on the database. 
I also got a tour of all the behind the scenes stuff like the store room, which sounds boring as hell, but it's actually where all the really cool, really precious stuff is kept!

I am basically researching and creating my own display for the Newcastle Guildhall which will be up for show in exactly one month from my first day - the 7th March!

I am super excited for the project and feeling very grown up in the world of work! 

Updates to come next week xx

Newcastle Museum Website


The Newcastle Under-Lyme Guildhall 

No comments:

Post a Comment